How do you know which residency program is right for you?

January 21, 2018


With the upcoming deadline for the official Residency Match list rankings approaching, I figured this would be helpful for anyone who still has lingering doubts about which residency program is right for them. These tips could actually be applied to any new job or school you're considering even if you're not in the medical field.

Here are the key areas to consider when deciding on rankings:

Location 


Is it in a place you could see yourself living? Is the lifestyle similar to your own or something you could adapt to? Do you have a social network there or family nearby? Do you want a new place to start fresh or would you feel more comfortable being around familiar people and places? Are you a city person or more rural/suburban? Does the area offer a patient population you feel you could thrive in as a doctor? Is there commuting involved and if so how far, how many sites, how many rotations do you have to commute to? Is there public transportation or do you need a car? These are all questions to consider just based on where the program is, which can help you narrow down your top three fairly easily.

Size


How big is the program? Are you looking for a small program, medium-sized, or large program? When I interviewed there were sites that had two residents and some that had upwards of 15 residents. Of course, the size can also be a reflection of the medical specialty you're pursuing (internal medicine programs often have the most residents in their program).


I chose a medium-sized program because I wanted to be able to get to know everyone but also not get lost in the crowd. I was also worried in a program of only two people, what if I didn't get along with the other person? I'd be stuck working with them for three years.

Future



What do the residents do after they've graduated? How many go on to pursue a fellowship vs go into general practice? When I interviewed at Stanford, the most helpful tip they gave me was to look for programs where half the residents go into fellowship and half go into general practice. That means the program is strong enough that graduates feel they have enough experience and knowledge they can easily practice as an attending and the program is well-known and supportive enough that if you wanted to pursue a fellowship, the opportunity exists.

Fit

Could you see yourself working there? Did you get along with everyone, not just the residents but the attendings too? Try not to base this off of one interaction but looking at the whole picture. It's true when people say "you just know what program is right for you," there really is a "fit" or a "feeling" that you get. Did you rotate there for a sub-internship and if so how did you feel after? After rotating at my current program as a medical student I attended a medical conference a month later. I had been auditioning at a completely different site during that time. I remember walking into the auditorium for the opening plenary session and without even thinking twice, I chose to sit with the residents from my first sub-internship. They were so welcoming and made me feel like I was already part of their program.

Best of luck! And congratulations on starting a new chapter of your life.

Post a Comment

© daily dose of vita. Design by FCD.