How To Network

May 11, 2021

PC: @ptap48

Standing in line at Harry Potter World with my co-residents, I was SO excited to try the famous Butterbeer. We had just finished our AAPMR medical conference and the park was reserved for all of us attendees. I remember turning around to the woman behind me to ask her for a photo (pix or it didn’t happen). We struck up a conversation and discovered we were both physicians in Philadelphia. “I specialize in Cancer Rehabilitation,” she said, to which I replied, “What’s that?” She then invited me on the spot to spend elective time shadowing her to learn. Fast-forward to now and I am finishing up my fellowship year in Cancer Rehabilitation with her as my mentor!

This is my absolute favorite networking story because not only does it show the importance of connecting but it also shows how one conversation (and one Butterbeer) can change your future. Now, with the advantage of technology and social media, comes even more access to experts, mentors, and educational opportunities.


So how do you network? Here are six steps to break it down:


1. Be persistent and assertive but not aggressive 


Recognize your value and don't give up but only seek out connections that are engaged. 


2. Seize every opportunity


No matter where you are - an airport, a medical conference, on the bus, or at a dinner party - recognize that each encounter you have could lead to something bigger. Do not squander these. If someone offers to put you in touch with someone they think might be able to help, say YES. I found my PM&R elective rotation in medical school through a family friend. This later turned into a job opportunity but I had already decided on pursuing a fellowship.


3. Be prepared


Do your research and know your audience. What are the other person's areas of interest or expertise and how did they help you? Make sure you get their contact information/business card and that you have a business card of your own (along with resume, and/or portfolio depending on the situation) for the other person (ie job fair). When it comes to business cards, I always include my photo because it helps match the face to the name. This lets the other person remember you better and gives them a tangible piece of you to walk away with and have on hand for the future. Also, always have a pen available!




4. Be open-minded


Networking comes in all different forms. And technically they say we are connected to everyone in the world through six degrees of separation.


5. Be an active listener



This is a great skill set to have not just for networking but for connecting with other people, whether patients, colleagues, friends, or family.


6. Prepare your Elevator Pitch


This is a 30-second to two-minute statement of who you are, what you do, where you see a connection with the other person, why you’re valuable, and how you can help. Whether for a building your career, proposing a business idea, or overall establishing a connection, having this prepared can set the stage for the conversation and the future of the relationship.


Another great example of networking? My partnership with AmorSui Clothing, which led to me helping develop the Alice Hamilton antimicrobial gloves. This happened in part because of a connection made on social media and in part because of a colleague who encouraged me to get my MBA. So remember, it could happen anywhere, including right here! And you never know which opportunity could land you in Forbes magazine๐Ÿ˜‰




So the key takeaway is, you never know who you will meet and when so take advantage of every opportunity…





Post a Comment

© daily dose of vita. Design by FCD.