Love Is In The Hair

February 13, 2017

A few weeks ago a friend and I decided to hit up a nearby salon for a girls night out. It was the only place open late enough to accommodate our residency work hours. For some reason I had this crazy notion to relive my California days as a blonde. Maybe it was the cold New England winter making me crave that sun-kissed glow or maybe I wanted a new look for the new year. Either way, it, sadly, did not go well.

I advise all of you to inform your hair stylist that when you want to make a drastic change, especially going from dark to light, let them know the entire history of your hair. They may advise you to reconsider and educate you on your options. Just like patients tell doctors about their past medical history to receive the appropriate care, you should tell your stylist your past hair history, from your last cut or color to what products you've tried. Unfortunately, I never mentioned any of this (I was also never asked it) and had to relive my middle school Sun-In days. While I might sound overly dramatic, the real problem was that it wasn't what I wanted. I still paid for the service because the hairdresser worked for hours to bleach and strip and tone but it didn't matter. It turned into this mixture of brassy orange meets corn-on-the-cob...maybe it wasn't that bad but it just didn't feel like me and it didn't look like any of the pictures I had shown earlier as examples.


I told my friend how I felt immediately after we left and she said "if they didn't provide you with the service you wanted, you shouldn't have to pay for it." I couldn't wrap my head around that. I didn't want to ask for a refund because I didn't think it was fair to the person who spent so long on my less than Swift-worthy blowout.

As the hours wore on, I couldn't sleep. It sounds like a real "first-world problem" to obsess over something like this but I could not let it go. Plenty of women feel self-conscious about how they look and that's totally normal because we're only human. Our current standard of beauty is the hour-glass model sporting a lion's mane on the latest issue of Cosmo. Turns out, there's a guy in a green suit lifting her hair to give it that slow motion wind-blown effect. Envy and self-doubt make you question your own image. Yup, I am right there with you. But you're allowed to look beautiful in your own way - that's what makes you unique - and you have every right to stand up for what you want.

I know someone who flies back to her hometown hair stylist because she doesn't trust anyone else to treat her hair with the same care and respect. It's analogous to the patient-physician relationship, where you build a bond with someone that understands how your body works, how it reacts to certain medications and treatments, someone who knows where you're coming from and where you're going. Similarly, a good stylist knows how your hair works, how it moves, what cuts and shapes look best and how you plan to wear it. I didn't have the luxury of going back to my hometown hairdresser (love you Michelle!), but now I completely understand my friends that wait months and travel extensive distances for their long-awaited appointments.

So back to my Hairmageddon - you see, when your hair looks like it belongs in the Oval Office, you start to FREAK OUT. I ended up calling every salon I could find that knew how to fix it, leaving voicemails at 3AM to see if they had an opening. My desperation made me realize how unfair it was that something so expensive could cause me so much grief. My friend was right. I shouldn't have to pay for something I didn't want or ask for, especially considering the stylists were professionals. I was nervous to stand up for myself at first. You can return products but I never considered returning a service. When I explained my situation, the studio offered to fix it but at that point, although I appreciated their proposal, I had lost faith in their skills. They understood where I was coming from and gave me a refund without delay.

Luckily, my 3AM phone calls paid off too. I discovered this amazing stylist, Brigid Broderick, at Stiletto Salon, who knew exactly what to do to correct the color and give it that "as-seen-on-TV" glow. She also taught me that making a change like going dark to light should be done gradually, not all at once. While I was blonde(ish) for a hot second, I decided it was time to go back to my natural brunette bombshell self.

Photo Credit: Brigid Broderick @ Stiletto Salon

Don't get me wrong. I love changing up my hair color, whether it's highlights or lowlights or full on rainbow...I haven't tried that yet actually. Maybe some day? While experimenting with your hair for many can be a right of passage from your teens to your twenties and thirties (or really any age), sometimes it's better to take a step back and look at whatever you're considering from every angle - don't lose sight of what you already have or even who you are as a person. Of course hair doesn't define you. But it helps to express who you are on the inside. If that person on the inside is inclined to dive into something new and exciting, you should absolutely go for it. Expect the unexpected, whether that's good or bad. More often than not, it will be a success but be prepared if it doesn't turn out the way you wanted. How will you handle the situation? What if you end up looking like a Disney Villain when you were aiming for a Disney Princess...or vice versa?

Know that you are not the only one. These experiences have happened to me more times than I can count and not just at the salon. If you're not happy with the outcome, say something. Stand up for what you believe in, what you want, and what you deserve. Who knows, you may get a refund...or it may lead you to meet someone new (like an incredibly talented hair goddess). After all, your hair is the crown you never take off!


Photo Credit: Brigid Broderick @ Stiletto Salon

A big thank you to Stilletto Salon and the one and only stylist Brigid Broderick for all your help :)

And thank you for the samples - I love my Pureology products, which are sulfate-free with color-protection:


Post a Comment

© daily dose of vita. Design by FCD.