NBC29News: Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

March 14, 2024

Last week I was invited to have my first book reading at a local elementary school. Jaws literally dropped in the classroom and NBC29 News was there to capture it all! Check out the video below:

I had so much fun as Miss Charlottesville USA visiting Moss Nuckols Elementary School to read my children’s book An Apple A Day: Unraveling Online Myths For KidsAs part of my Miss Virginia USA competition platform Healthy Habits, I am teaching children all about online safety to prevent the spread of medical misinformation.

After the reading, I taught them how to write a prescription by having them draw and color in an apple on a prescription template. They handed me the "script" to ensure an expert weighs in (getting my doctor’s signature). Once signed, they brought it over to the "pharmacist" to fill the prescription (handing in the “script” to get their apple). The activity was a hit and the kiddos loved it!



In addition to bringing my book, I brought some goodies including erasers, Dr. Seuss learning flash cards, crayons, and stickers.


And all the children lined up to try my crown on!


It was so wonderful that @anahitajafarytv and NBC29 News were there to capture each moment and show just how meaningful the event was for the kids. One of my favorite parts about competing in pageants is the community outreach and connections we build along the way.


In addition, Mitchell Sasser from the Central Virginian was there to interview me and put together a great article about the children's "visit from royalty." Click HERE to read.


Thank you to all the incredible staff at Moss Nuckols Elementary School for helping make this happen.

I cannot wait to read my book to more children at schools around Virginia and inspire the future generation to pursue STEM disciplines. Get your copy today on Amazon!

Post a Comment

© daily dose of vita. Design by FCD.