One Minute Omelette

June 25, 2018



Back from a mini-blog hiatus after a busy few months on the inpatient side of my hospital's comprehensive acute rehabilitation unit. I'm here to share a trick I learned to keep up with the fast-paced life of a resident physician. Working a mix of 12 and 28-hour shifts can be exhausting not just mentally but also physically. Luckily, we have an on-call room to catch some shut-eye during downtime. In addition, we have a fun furry co-worker who helps keep us sane when Epic (our electronic medical record) refuses to cooperate.

Meet our therapy dog - he brings a pawesome attitude wherever he goes!

That being said, since I am often on the go, I need something quick to keep me full throughout the day. Between rounding, doing discharges, preparing admissions, writing progress notes, answering pages, and addressing patient needs, it's a challenge to find time to eat. Instead of grabbing a crinkly-wrapped granola bar filled with added sugar and processed grains, I found a meal that would keep my energy up and prevent those "hangry" attacks.



Omelets were my first thought because they are my go-to weekend breakfast. Packed with protein and curated to feed whatever I'm craving for the morning, they're the perfect blend of wholesome and delicious. While they keep me full, I could not ignore the time it took to make them just right. I knew there were lots of quick tips for microwaveable meals and a simple Google search led me to the One Minute Omelette.




I soon became "avidinly" addicted (hehe that's a silly medical pun).  This simple recipe is nutritious, inexpensive, and fast. You can add or subtract whatever ingredients you wish. I think Antoni Porowski would definitely approve.



One Minute Omelette

Ingredients:
  • 1-2 chives
  • 1 to 2 eggs (microwave for one minute per egg)
  • Shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 slice of ham or turkey
  • 1/4 tomato
  • Salt/pepper
  • Sriracha (optional)
  • Oil (to grease the mug)
Steps:
  1. Grease the mug with oil so the eggs don't stick
  2. Add egg(s) to the mug and whisk thoroughly
  3. Chop the chive(s), ham or turkey, and tomato
  4. Mix all the ingredients in with the egg and stir
  5. Microwave for one minute per egg (two minutes if two eggs)
  6. Top with sriracha and enjoy!
Inspiration from: Microwave Eggs

You can always prepare this in a Tupperware container if you're like me and want to take it to go. I love this recipe even more because of the hassle-free clean-up. That means more time to enjoy the summer sun!



Post a Comment

© daily dose of vita. Design by FCD.