Namaste Sunday

October 22, 2017


Happy Sunday! What better way to celebrate a beautiful fall Sunday and get to know a new community than through yoga? It brings people together from all walks of life to destress and re-center. This is especially important when you're in residency. I've been on a yoga marathon after finally replacing my old mat a few weeks ago with this perfect one from Athleta: the Manduka mat.




In fact, on my way back from picking up my new mat, I discovered CorePower Yoga was promoting a free trial week for newbies. Wanting to give my Manduka a test drive, I signed up. Talk about holding yourself accountable. I went every day to trial their classes from Yoga Sculpt to Levels 1 and 2. It was tough because I wasn't used to the heated yoga but I felt so rejuvenated afterward. Plus, when you're on a budget (thank you student loans), the best kind of yoga class is a free yoga class.


Looking for more fun activities in the area, I decided to check out Athleta's upcoming events. They host free weekly yoga classes often accompanied by a tutorial on eating healthy and taking care of your body.




I registered for today's Be Gentle to Your Body class and my favorite instructor from CorePower Yoga, Melissa, turned out to be leading it! They cleared the store so we had plenty of room to stretch out. Melissa led us through a gentle early morning flow with lots of downward dogs, warrior ones and twos, and an amazing Shavasana complete with a lavender oil aroma. Not to mention you're surrounded by Athleta's beautiful activewear. They even give you an Athleta goodie bag at the end filled with coupons and treats like chocolate covered Date Truffles. I was ready to buy the whole store.



Afterward we had a discussion about healthy eating with a focus on yogurt parfaits. Melissa, a certified nutritionist, explained how important it is to focus on consuming all-natural ingredients. Your body is better equipped to digest and extract the necessary nutrients from whole foods. It doesn't know how to metabolize processed foods appropriately, which is why you may not feel well after, say, a fast-food binge or ice cream indulgence (Halo Top excluded).


She cautioned us about parfaits that have too much sugar, which can be hidden in granola and yogurt. She also emphasized the importance of bulking up breakfast with protein. Tricks to do this include using Greek Yogurt as a base and adding toppings like hemp seed, peanut butter, and pumpkin seeds. We learned simple ways to add sweetness using honey, raw cacao nibs, and fresh blueberries (fun fact: these are also loaded with tons of antioxidants). You can even flavor with cinnamon and throw in chia seeds to provide extra fiber. We got to make our own yogurt parfaits using her recommendations with fantastic ingredients compliments of Trader Joe's.

I also got to meet two young women from Temple University's Pretty Girls Sweat club at the class. They told me all about their club and how they empower college girls through fitness around the country by promoting free upcoming events and classes. You can follow them on instagram @prettygirlssweattu :)

Check out what the fitness stores and studios are doing in your area and I'll see you on the mat!

Post a Comment

© daily dose of vita. Design by FCD.