Lights, camera, action

September 15, 2017


Given my recent national TV debut during Miss America (see above) I thought it was a perfect time to post some of my favorite things to watch on TV. It also coincides with a request one of my best friends made for my next blog post.

You see, when you're in medical school and residency, you end up working weird hours. Sure you can have a social life but not everyone wants to hang out at 2am when you finish your shift. You're still reeling from that hospital high and need to decompress. My favorite way to relax and veg out, to let my mind go and give myself a break...Aside from reading and exercising, it has to be watching TV.

When I was little my parents used to limit me to 2 hours of television a night but I would sneak into the back room of our house to catch my favorite Nickelodeon episodes. I love watching TV. I love when I recognize actors and actresses from different shows playing other roles. My parents finally gave in to letting me watch my favorite shows as long as I put in the same amount of time studying and needless to say it paid off - I own pop culture in addition to medicine on trivia nights.



I haven't seen every Netflix show available and there are some that I have yet to watch (Orange is the New Black) or am currently binge-watching (Game of Thrones) but if you're looking for a new show then here is my list separated by categories:


Suspense/Drama
  1. Breaking Bad (of course it's number 1...I still have yet to see Better Call Saul)
  2. Homeland (Claire Danes is phenomenal)
  3. The Americans
  4. Sneaky Pete (on Amazon)
  5. Queen of the South (adapted from the Spanish version La Reina del Sur) 

Mystery
  1. Big Little Lies
  2. Sherlock (the Benedict Cumberbatch version of course)
  3. The Bletchley Circle
  4. Veronica Mars (this basically shaped my teenage years, I looooove this show and they even made a movie out of it because it was cancelled too early)

Thriller
  1. Stranger Things
  2. Luther (Idris Elba is such a stud)
  3. The Following (I'm still in the middle of season 1 and I can't watch it by myself because it's that terrifying but it's so good)
  4. Mr. Robot (I'd classify this more as a psychological thriller)
  5. Dexter (only the first couple seasons)

Suspense/Sci-Fi
  1. Sense8 (probably my favorite show on Netflix and was so sad when they cancelled it but fans rallied and we brought it back for a 2-hour series finale)
  2. Orphan Black
  3. The Magicians (not necessarily hooked but I enjoyed it, based on a book series)
  4. True Blood (only the first couple of seasons IMO)


Comedy
  1. Silicon Valley
  2. Impastor (this show does not get enough credit, it's hysterical)
  3. Parks and Rec
  4. The Office
  5. New Girl
  6. How I Met Your Mother
  7. Broad City (Four and three and two and one)
  8. Master of None (Aziz is the best)
  9. Curb Your Enthusiasm
  10. 30 Rock
  11. Veep



Fantasy
  1. Once Upon A Time - it's a little corny but I love it because I'm also a Disney fanatic
  2. Reign
  3. Game of Thrones (graphic with lots of suspense, currently in the middle of season 4 and totally addicted)
Superhero/Action
  1. Supergirl
  2. The Flash
  3. Timeless

Fun/Rom-Com
  1. Jane the Virgin
  2. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
  3. Younger
  4. Mozart In The Jungle
  5. Sex and the City (this is a given)

Really Good Drama
  1. Revenge
  2. Ringer (with Sarah Michelle Gellar)
  3. House of Cards (for me it did get slow at some points but was worth it in the end)

British Shows
  1. Downton Abbey
  2. The Paradise
  3. Sherlock - it's on here twice because it's just that good
Mindless/Background shows
  1. Burn Notice
  2. Psych
  3. NCIS
  4. Law & Order
  5. Bluebloods

And my most recent recommendations that I have yet to see
  1. Ozark
  2. Fauda
  3. Westworld
  4. Narcos
I could go on and on because there are tons of shows I haven't seen like Lost, This is Us, Walking Dead, AHS, the Sopranos...but there's only so much time in a day!

You'll notice I didn't list any medical shows...I get enough of it in real life that I don't want to watch it at home, especially when half the things they do are wrong. However, lots of my doctor friends love Grey's Anatomy and I have watched a few episodes of Scrubs and liked it.

I will say it's always good to limit your screen time or number of binge-watching weekends and make sure to get outside/enjoy the fresh air as well!

What are some of your favorite shows?

PS - Please no GoT spoilers๐Ÿ™ˆ

Post a Comment

© daily dose of vita. Design by FCD.